Here are 5 Ways to Increase Your Protein While Counting Macros. Protein is essential for maintaining your muscle and building new muscle while keeping you fuller for longer.
While I try to eat food to increase my protein, protein powder is an option as well and I still do use it. It’s an essential for us mamas who are running around with our head cut off sometimes. If this is you, you need to try my Pineapple Protein Refresher. No blender needed. Just a quick and easy way to get in some midday protein. If you have a few extra minutes and a food processor, I like to make protein fluff as well. I have made a Strawberry Cheesecake and a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup one so far. I like to use the PEScience Protein Powder.
5 Ways to Increase Your Protein While Counting Macros
First, let’s start with eggs and egg whites. Eggs are an amazing source of protein! Did you know that egg whites are solely protein? If you have taken my Macros 101 Course, you know this. A lot of foods are a combination of proteins, fats and carbs but egg whites are one of those foods that just contain one.
Adding egg whites to your Morning Scramble, Spinach and Feta Frittata, Broccoli and Cheese Breakfast Casserole, or Starbucks Egg White Bites is so easy, low calorie and adds tons of volume to your meal. Eggs and Egg whites are probably my favorite way to increase my protein and probably the easiest for me. I’ve listed a few other ideas below.
- Eggs and Cottage Cheese – this dynamic duo is a huge game changer. It makes your eggs not burn up or dry and creates cheesiness in each bite. It is 10/10 delicious. Throw a few of your favorite chopped veggies in there making it a scramble and serve with some toast. I use Nature’s Harvest Light bread.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – These are such an amazing snack. Have it with some Everything Bagel Seasoning or mustard. It’s delicious.
- Egg Sandwich – Scrambled eggs, little bit of mayo, cheese in between 2 toasted slices of bread. Simple and delicious.
- Egg Salad Sandwich – An absolute classic.
- On top of a Salad – I’ve seen these before. Poached egg on tops of a bed of arugula and some vinaigrette.
The second way I like to increase protein is greek yogurt! It is amazing. It is packed with protein and so versatile.
- Mixed with Skinny Syrup, fruit and a crushed up rice cake. Greek yogurt can be tart and sour so I love to sweeten mine up with some Skinny Syrup. They have some flavors at Home Goods and TJ Max but I prefer to order online. I had NO idea they had so many more amazing flavors online. I was in heaven when I first stumbled upon it.
- Add hot sauce, seasoning or salsa to make it a creamy sauce or dip. For example, I like to add Tapatio to the yogurt and use it as a dip for my quesadilla or topping for my burrito bowl. I also like to add in ranch or onion seasoning to make it a great dip for my veggies. Any prepackaged “chip” seasoning dip that you usually add to sour cream, you can just add to your greek yogurt.
- In replace of sour cream! Yep. It literally tastes just like sour cream to me in a burrito, with a quesadilla, topped on my burrito bowl, with my carne asada tator tots, nachos, you name it.
- Add to smoothies to make them more creamy.
- Use in place of mayo. Not on a sandwich but in chicken, tuna, egg, potato or broccoli, cucumber salad.
- Add into pasta sauce for creaminess.
I absolutely love cottage cheese. Use it similarly to the greek yogurt with adding hot sauce or seasonings. Adding some Everything Bagel Seasoning makes it o yummy and I eat it just like that. I also love to dip my chips into it. If you want even more protein – try the Quest chips.
As mentioned previously, adding to your eggs is another great way. It makes them delicious and cheesy!
I’ve seen SO many amazing cottage cheese recipes – sweet and savory on TikTok. Just search cottage cheese recipes and so many will come up. I even saw one adding it to brownies? That’s amazing. I have to try that one day.
Protein bars are even easier than protein shakes. I’ve listed my favorites below.
- think! bars are insane. I am absolutely obsessed with the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie flavor. It is SO good. I usually get these at Walmart or Target.
- Built Bars pleasantly surprised me. I saw a ton of people eating them and they actually lived up to the hype.
Last but certainly not least we have tuna. This is perfect for when you need something high protein, low calorie and low fat. I hear from a lot of you that you are over on your fats and need more protein. Try something like tuna or meats like turkey and chicken breasts. When making tuna salad, swap out the mayo for greek yogurt and have a high protein lunch or snack. You can make a tuna salad, sandwich, wrap or use it for dip with your crackers.