Getting started with macros can be challenging and confusing. I’m going to walk you through everything to successfully get you started.
A lot of people get confused on what their actual macros are because online calculators will give you different numbers each time. It’s frustrating to not know your correct macros along with not knowing how and when to adjust. Not only is it important to get accurate numbers but to also understand why and how to adjust these numbers based on your progress and goals. When you understand the process and it makes sense to you – you become more confident in the journey of it.
Getting Started With Macros
First Things First
(If you already purchased my course, skip to “What’s next?”)
That’s why I made my Macros 101 Course. This course will teach you everything you need to know to get started and continue successfully in your macro journey.
Lesson One: Proteins, Fats, Carbs
Here, we will dive right into what a protein, fat and carb is. I then go into explaining how each one benefits us, tracking macros VS tracking calories and the pros and cons of meal plans.
Lesson Two: Food Scale
Let’s talk about why you should weigh your food instead of using a measuring tools. I also share some of my tricks that help me!
Lesson Three: MyFitnessPal
First, I’ll show you how to properly track your food in the app. Then, I will share my tips, tricks and hacks for the FREE version of MFP.
Lesson Four: Calculating Macros
I go into detail on how to calculate your macros for YOUR body. This includes 6 different calculations but once you have your numbers, you are good to go. It’s easy peasy from there.
Lesson Five: Reverse Dieting
This is technically NOT a diet or a weight loss/fat loss phase. This phase will help rebuild your metabolism if you’ve been chronically under eating or this is the route that you take out of the deficit to maintenance.
The class also includes the following:
- Intro, 5 Lessons and Outro Video
- Lose, gain OR maintain weight
- Macro Worksheet
- 3 Sample Days
- Food list
- Access to FREE private Facebook Group
- Pre-recorded class that you can work at your own pace
Use code BLOGPOST for $75 off my course!
After you purchase the course and complete it, what’s next? The next thing you will want to do is order some items off Amazon that will help you in your journey.
- Measuring Tape – F the scale. Sometimes you won’t see the scale move but your pants are fitting better, you’ve lost inches, you feel better and it all doesn’t make sense. Well, in a way it does. I suggest using measuring tape and progress pictures to track your weight loss. Of course, I have a scale and still weigh myself a few times a month but I suggest weekly progress photos in the same outfit and post every time.
- Scale – If you are in the market for a new scale, this one is great. It also has bluetooth so everything goes straight to your phone.
- Fitness Watch – I know most of us have an apple watch but this is also a great and affordable watch.
- Water Bottle – You definitely don’t NEED a $40 Stanley cup, any insulated water bottle will do just fine. This one is my favorite.
- Poppi, Sola Bread, and Probiotics – As most of you know, I’ve recent become obsessed with Poppi and Sola Bread. This holy trinity will keep you super regular and on schedule. If you don’t know what I’m saying, I’m talking about going number two. Being in a calorie deficit and changing your diet in general can really mess with your schedule. I highly suggest having a Poppi a day and getting in your fiber. I love Sola Bread because it is not only high in fiber but high in protein as well all while being delicious and fluffy. You can get it at Walmart or Costco – you can get it on Amazon but it’s more expensive so try to get it in store.
When to adjust your macros
You should only adjust your macros when you have gone an entire MONTH without losing one single pound. If you have lost a pound, that’s still successful. The goal is to eat the most while still losing weight. A healthy weight loss is 0.5 to 1 pound a week and I think people forget that and want to lose 20 pounds in a week.
The worst thing you can do on your journey
The absolute worst thing you can do on your journey is compare yourself to others.
Comparison is the THIEF of joy.
Remember that this isn’t a race – you don’t need to see if the person next to you is passing you up. This is about you, your journey, and your body. Enjoy the journey and learning more about nutrition and your body. Get excited. These next steps you’re taking are super exciting. Learn to love your body in every part of the journey.
Blog posts that will help in your journey
The first blog post is Calorie Deficit, Maintenance, Reverse Diet. This one will be so helpful. Tons of people aren’t aware that you’re not supposed to be in a calorie deficit all the way up until you hit your goal. You need to take a break and reverse your way back up to maintenance for a bit.
This is definitely a lifestyle change and a healthy way to lose weight but also keep it off. If you’re looking for a fad diet to lose 10 lbs in a week, this definitely isn’t the right course for you. But if you look back when you did the fad diets before, you probably already gained the weight back and you were starving eating 1,000 calories a day.
The next one is How to Plan your Macros for the Day. It can be confusing at first or you don’t know where to start. This blog post will help immensely. I touch on this in the course but I really do a deep dive on how to plan a day specifically for you in this post.
5 Ways to Increase your Protein is another one I recommend because this is the macro that people tend to have difficulty hitting. It’s very important to be hitting all your macros on a daily basis.
Now, you’re ready to get started – you have everything you need to be successful!
MACROS 101 COURSE – Use code BLOGPOST for $75 off my course!